The False Possessive

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 4 18:50:48 UTC 2009

The theory of the false possessive holds that inanimate things cannot
logically "possess" anything.  Of course, tradition allows us to use the few
idiomatic exceptions like "a day's wage."  It is a corruption we must
unfortunately live with.

BRAIN-TEASER:

Any English professor of 1899 could see what's wrong with this sentence.
Can you?

"I was very disappointed."

JL