Why the *s

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 4 20:21:24 UTC 2009

Many email client applications convert thus highlighted text into bold.
Some preserve the original *s others do not. Similarly _underscores_
bracketing a word/phrase result in underlining. There may be other
conventions/conversions, but I have not been keeping track of them. I
guess, on a linguistics listserv, you have to do like with camels and
ask, one asterisk or two.

    VS-)