velarized /l/ and Billy Holiday

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 6 06:13:37 UTC 2009

My WAG is that it's a feature of her dialect. BE doesn't have the
style of articulation that makes the pronunciation of, e.g. "cool" by
(Northern) white speakers sound to us like 'koo-wool" and causes BE
"cool" to sound like "coo" to white speakers. As a further
consequence, some BE speakers overcorrect, e.g. "table" to "taber"
[tEIbr].

If I haven't missed your point.

-Wilson
–––