velarized /l/ and Billy Holiday

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 6 12:45:31 UTC 2009

Wilson,

You got my point, and thanks for the observation on the vowel
transition before /l/.  My students always had problems with
transcribing vowels before final /l/, which usually provided a good
teaching opportunity.

Tom, on the other hand, misses the point as usual.  Velarization, Tom,
is not velar closure.  The back of the tongue is raised but not high
enough to touch the velum.  This has a clear acoustic effect on the
consonant, in this case /l/.  You have some grasp of the "place of
articulation" parameter, at least that it exists, but you seem totally
unaware of the "manner of articulation" parameter.  If you won't take
a course, at least read a good text on phonetics.  I recommend Peter
Ladefoged's A Course in Linguistics, 5th ed. (Thomson Learning 2005).
The book comes with a CD, so you'll be able to hear what sounds IPA
symbols represent.  You can also find the content of the CD on line at
http://www.ladefogeds.com/course/contents.html.

Herb