Dorothy Parker and Vassar girls?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 6 16:48:30 UTC 2009

At 11:08 AM -0500 3/6/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Since I attended Vassar for several years,* I was curious.  Did
>Parker actually say "Vassar girls"?  Wikipedia says Woolcott's
>biographical essay on Parker is the only source, and reports it as
>"If all the girls attending it ...", a Yale prom.
>
>Joel

Aha! You're more in the know than I am, and I probably just heard the
line in an apocryphal version, which is however well-known.  Googling
"Dorothy Parker" + "If all the girls at Vassar" pulls up 70 instances
of the aphorism, which in fact isn't *too* distant from Woolcott's
version, given the standard assumptions of the era about Yale, and
Vassar, and proms.  Then there are the hits presupposing it, such as
this one, which I find...well, I was going to say inscrutable, but I
won't go there:

http://www.musicmash.net/band/thomas-brinkmann/klick-revolution/
Apologies to Dorothy Parker (and Vassar girls), but if Thomas
Brinkmann laid every lock groove end to end, I wouldn't be surprised.

LH