velarized /l/ and Billy Holiday

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 7 07:59:56 UTC 2009

Good point, Mark. And 1973 isn't 2009. Therer've been changes - all
for the better - that I would never have expected to see, looking
forward from the 'Forties.

And, nowadays, I find the exploitation of BE speech patterns for comic
effect by white people to be pretty funny. Nowadays, it strikes me as
more hommage than mockery, even the dumbell mistakes, such as when an
adult character says to a child character, something like:

"Luke, I am your _baby daddy_!"

obviously attempting to pun on on

"Luke, I am your father!"

and getting the nonsensical: