racism of older linguists

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 7 19:41:31 UTC 2009

Ron writes:

"My experience is that linguistics is one of the least racist, least
"homophobic, academic disciplines I know. I guess the best that can be
said about our
"painful experiences from those earlier days is that young people today don't
"face those kinds of problems. This is not to say that racism and sexism and
"homophobia is dead, but the playing field is a lot more even today,
and I certainly
"hope that younger linguists do not find the need to be constantly looking
"over their shoulders to see who is going to stab them for being
black, or queer,
"or female, or, for that matter, white heterosexual male Red Sox fans."

Except for the comment about Red Sox fans, I agree completely with
Ron. I don't doubt that, from the POV of the G'town prof, he was
merely expressing polite interest, with the hope of extending the
conversation, given that we had aleady discussed my own Jesuit-trained
background. But, there exist certain strings that tend to cause
members of minority groups to "trip off the line," as we used to say
at L.A. Water & Power. Some of them has become so stereotypical the
both speakers and hearers beginning not to take them seriously,
anymore, e.g., "You know, some of my best friends are [whatever]!" or
"Do you know [internationally-famous Name]?", etc.

Needless to say, some of *my* best friends are black, too, and I *do*
know some internationally-famous names *in linguistics*. But, even
today, not being one of the very few, internationally-famous black
people, myself, I don't know any internationally-famous black people.

Hence, that seemingly-innocent question comes across as a put-down:
"I'm white and you're black, but, nevertheless, *I* know more famous
black people than *you* do! You ever get high backstage with Miles?
*I* have! Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!"

Gnome sane?

As for the Red Sox, I'm a fan of the Saint Louis Cardinals. Enough said.

-Wilson

–––
-----
-Mark Twain