"to stay" vs. "to live" (reside)

Sun Mar 8 03:59:05 UTC 2009

"stay" = 'reside' is widely used by N. Carolinians of all races.

-----Original Message-----
From: Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM>

Date:         Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:31:12
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] "to stay" vs. "to live" (reside)

The OED gives the meaning:

 b. To dwell, lodge, reside (permanently or regularly). Sc., S.Afr.,
India, and U.S.
1754 E. BURT Lett. N. Scot. (1818) I. 20, I was told that I
must..inquire for such a launde (or building), where the gentleman
stayd, at the third stair, that is, three stories high. 1800 Monthly
Mag. I. 322 [Scotticisms], He stays in the Canongate, means, He lives
in that suburb. a1915 Mod. (Sc.) Mr. A. moved last Whitsunday; I don't
know where he stays now. a1915 Mod. (Cape Colony: communicated.)
Englishman. Who lived in that house last? Colonial. Oh, Mr. Brown
stayed there. 1951 Amer. Speech XXVI. 75/1 ‘Do you stay here?’ In
common Negro parlance stay is used for ‘live’ but is heard otherwise.
1959 A. FULLERTON Yellow Ford v. 45 ‘Would you care to stay round
here, man?’ I had not caught on, at first, to her meaning: the verb
‘stay’ is used in South Africa when in England we'd say ‘live’. 1962
W. FAULKNER Reivers i. 13 Mr Wimbush stays a solid eight miles from
town. 1980 D. MORAES Mrs Gandhi p. xiii, In March 1977..my wife..and I
went to see her in New Delhi, at 1 Safdarjang Road, the house where
she had stayed since she first became Prime Minister in 1966.

Could the 1962 Faulkner example indicate a Southern usage?

Herb