"Limerick rhyme" Feb. 11, 1895

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Mar 8 10:57:49 UTC 2009

Here's an early (though not the earliest) use of Limerick in the poetry sense.

Robert Ross, Friend of Friends: Letters to Robert Ross, Art Critic and Writer,
together with extracts from is published articles. Ed. Margery Ross. London:
Jonathan Cape, 1952. Page 36.

Letter from William Heinemann
21 Bedford Street, WC
Private
February 11, 1895
Dear Mr. Ross, Will you take the following as a very confidential
communication:
I am preparing an almanac for next year, in which there will be a Limerick
rhyme for every day. I have heard so much of your amazing capacity for making
these, that I at once write to ask you whether you will help me with as
many as
possible. Kipling and [W.E.] Henley have promised to write some, and
many others
too, and the thing is going to be as amusing as can be. the only thing is, it
must be strictly remembered that the book is to be allowed in the
drawing room.
With kind regards, Yours sincerely
W. Heinemann

Stephen Goranson