either

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 12 00:08:06 UTC 2009

My experience is that a lot of people use "EYE-ther" instead of
"EE-ther," regardless of race, creed, color, sexual orientation,
social status, or level of education. I personally use "EE-ther," but
a random assortment of friends, relatives, acquaintances, etc., uses
"EYE-ther.

Among blacks, at least, the use of "EYE-ther" by a speaker indicates
nothing at all about him, other than that he uses "EYE-ther." Back in
the day, in Saint Louis, my brother and I used "EE-ther" and our ace
boon coons,the Brothers Simms, whose parents were from Louisiana,
which adjoins East Texas, used "EYE-ther."

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain