The N-word at the time of Huck Finn

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 12 02:23:47 UTC 2009

FWIW, since I haven't read HF in dekkids, I don't recall that, in the
book, Jim, though referred to as "nigger" or "Nigger Jim," is ever
addressed that way. But, even if my memory is correct, I don't know
that any conclusion can be drawn from that, since Twain couldn't have
been particularly concerned with offending his black readership.

IMO, Twain sorta dug ol' Jim. In another book or, perhaps, only a
novella, whose name I can recall only as Tom Sawyer [?Traveler?
?Aeronaut? ? ... ?] (my maternal grandfather owned Twain's collected
works), Twain allows Jim to demonstrate to Tom the illogic of the
saying, "Birds of a feather flock together."

And I think that attempts to ban HF from schools, from public
libraries, or from anywhere else, are totally asinine.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain