The N-word at the time of Huck Finn

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Mar 12 03:46:04 UTC 2009

I should say that I have not tried to analyze these quotations
myself.  I am just offering them as one body of evidence, and if more
context is desired one can go to the sources.

For favorable senses, again only from the noun, and ignoring things
like "1. A dark-skinned person of sub-Saharan African origin or
descent; = NEGRO n. 1a.". Also, not including quotations from the 20th century.

1.a. Used by whites or other non-blacks as a relatively neutral (or
occas. positive) term, with no specifically hostile intent.
   Quots. 1608, 1788, etc., expressing patronizing views, reflect
underlying attitudes rather than a hostile use of the word itself.

1574 E. HELLOWES tr. A. de Guevara Familiar Epist. (1584) 389 The
Massgets bordering upon the Indians, and the Nigers of Aethiop [Sp.
los negros en Ethiopia], bearing witnes. 1584 R. SCOT Discouerie
Witchcraft VII. xv. 153 A skin like a Niger. 1608 A. MARLOWE Let. 22
June in E. India Co. Factory Rec. (1896) I. 10 The King and People
[of 'Serro Leona'] Niggers, simple and harmless. 1636 W. PITT & J.
DOWNHAM Let. 16 Sept. in Eng. Factories in India 1634-6 (1911) 292
Have granted passages to a Moor and three 'nigors'. 1656 DUCHESS OF
NEWCASTLE Assaulted & Pursued Chastity 237 The Priest which came to
fetch him forth, saw him thus drest, never seeing hair before, for
they had none but wooll, and very short as Nigers have. 1676 S.
SEWALL Diary 1 July, Jethro, his Niger, was then taken. a1704 T.
BROWN Lett. from Dead in Wks. (1707) II. ii. 121 A manner that
discover'd he had an ascendency over the rest of the immortal Nigres.
1760 G. WALLACE Princ. Law Scotl. in Ann. Reg. (1760) II. 265/1 Set
the Nigers free, and, in a few generations, this vast and fertile
continent would be crouded with inhabitants. 1786 R. BURNS Ordination
iv, in Poems & Songs (1971) 171 How graceless Ham leugh at his Dad,
Which made Canaan a niger [rhyme vigour, rigour, tiger]. 1788 S. LOW
Politician Out-witted III. i. 27 Toupee. By gar, I get de
satisfaction! Humphry. He talks as crooked as a Guinea niger. 1833 C.
WILLIAMS Fall River 184 Some say poor niger hab no shoule. Vel dat I
dont know, but dis I know, I got something in my body make me feel
tumfortable. 1867 H. LATHAM Black & White 127 Niggers (they are not
'coloured persons' yet in the South) are most artful flatterers. 1897
Outing 29 333/1 What is wanted is a genuine nigger{em}not a colored person.

[I would add that the previous is the sense I generally get from
reading 17th and 18th century texts -- in particular, without
hostility, although often with deprecation (blacks were not equal to
whites), up until the start of "scientific racism" at the end of the
18th century, I think.  But Barbara is asking about mid-19th century.]

c. Used by blacks as a neutral or favourable term.  [Sent in my

4. Now chiefly in African-American usage: a person, a fellow
(regardless of skin colour).
   Recent use has developed from a conscious, politically motivated
reclamation of the term among black Americans, and as such does not
usually carry negative connotations, although it may be considered
offensive when used by whites in imitation of this usage.
   The following examples show use of the word in reference to white
people; examples showing neutral or positive use in reference to
black people are at senses A. 1a , A. 1c.

a1848 G. F. RUXTON Life in Far West 166 What does the niggur say?
1850 L. H. GARRARD Wah-to-Yah 161 They..pick up a beaver trap to ask
what it is{em}just shows whar the niggurs had their bringin' up. 1851
M. REID Scalp-hunters 108 Oncet upon a time, this niggur [sc. the
speaker] chawed a varmint that wan't much sweeter.

  5. In African-American usage: (with possessive adjective) a close
(usually black) friend, a comrade, a boyfriend or girlfriend, a spouse.
[1884 J. C. HARRIS in Cent. Mag. Nov. 121/1, I say ter myse'f, maybe
my nigger man mought be some'rs 'roun'.] 1884 J. A. HARRISON Negro
Eng. in Anglia 7 266 To tu'n er nigger right loose, to give a man free play.

And some very recent senses, 1963, 1965, and later (omitting the
quotations themselves):

6. Esp. U.S. A person who is socially, politically, or economically
disadvantaged or exploited; a victim of prejudice likened to that
endured by African-Americans.
   In this use usually with awareness of the word's offensive
connotations, but without intention to cause offence, to identify a
group regarded as similarly disadvantaged or exploited.
   In quot. 1963, the editor explains:1997 D. BRINKLEY in H. S.
Thompson Proud Highway 411 (note) After reading Norman Mailer's The
White Negro, Thompson developed a theory that all working-class
people were niggers.

7. U.S. Any person who behaves in a manner associated with urban
African-Americans; a person who identifies with urban
African-American culture as opposed to middle-class white culture.

Other senses are specific or technical -- e.g., a kind of fish in
Australia, etc.

Joel