Re: [ADS-L] The N-w ord at the time of Huck Finn

Thu Mar 12 15:25:40 UTC 2009

It seems to me that the question raised here is impossible to answer because
it is premised on a late-twentieth-century view of race that simply did not
exist in 19th-century America. The prevailing LIBERAL attitude was patronizing
at best, and there was hardly a white person alive before 1950 who did not hold
views of African-Americans that would not be viewed as racist today. By
contemporary standards, Lincoln was a racist.

There were no terms for black people that were not intrinsically patronizing
at best. This is the attitude of Twain in HUCK FINN, though it is a
benevolent, thoughtful attitude which does recognize Jim's intrinsic worth as a human
being--a kind of romantic rustic who is able to think outside the box of
prevailing wisdom precisely because he is an outsider. When Twain calls him "Nigger
Jim" he is simply using one of the commonplace terms used by all people, white,
black, enlightened, not enlightened. His respect for the Jims of this world
is clear. Given the prevailing attitudes towards black people at the time--even
scientists--"nigger," "darky," etc. were just the terms that people used.
There WERE no "racist" epithets, because the modern idea of racism had not even
been invented yet, nor could be until people began to see that the prevailing
attitudes of the day towards race were wicked and evil--and until others
resisted such new, enlightened attitudesl, which is what gives racial slurs their
real meaning.
In a message dated 3/12/09 9:43:10 AM, Berson at ATT.NET writes:

> At 3/11/2009 10:21 PM, Barbara Need wrote:
> >I confess I'm not entirely convinced that the I.1.b citations for
> >1775, 1811 or even the 1818 uses represent contempt or abuse. In the
> >first one it follows "pious wretch";
>
> Actually, "pious wight".
>
> >  I would like to see more context
> >for the second; and the third, well, "bad conduct and inferior nature"
> >show contempt, but that doesn't mean "nigger" does? Or am I missing
> >something?
>
> For:
> 1775 in F. Moore Songs & Ballads Amer. Revol. (1856) 101 The rebel
> clowns, oh! what a sight! Too awkward was their figure. 'Twas yonder
> stood a pious wight, And here and there a nigger.
>
> The ballad surely is British or loyalist, about
> the revolutionaries.  Contemptuous per se, non?  But to go on:
>       "clown" 1.b. Implying ignorance, crassness,
> or rude manners: A mere rustic, a boor.  [Not
> refined, like the British royal appointees or
> commissioned officers.  And certainly without
> proper uniforms or military training, disorderly,
> firing from behind stone walls, etc.]
> 1646 F. HAWKINS Youth's Behavior vii. §16 (1663)
> 32 Put not thy meat in thy mouth, holding thy
> knife in thy hands, as do the Countrey Clowns.
> 1733 CHEYNE Eng. Malady III. Introd. (1734) 262 A
> clod-pated Clown. 1848 MACAULAY Hist. Eng. I. 320
> Language..such as we should now expect to hear
> only from the most ignorant clowns.
>       pious wight:  either a dissident
> (non-Anglican) Congregationalist/Puritan (who
> still didn't believe in celebrating Christmas),
> or even worse a contumelious and seditious
> minister, one of the "black brigade" (Peter Oliver's phrase).
>       "wight"  2. A human being, man or woman,
> person. Now arch. or dial. (often implying some contempt or commiseration).
> 1735 POPE Prol. Sat. 165 The Wight who reads not, and but scans and spells.
>       Niggers, of course, were contemptible if
> they were yours; ours are loyal and
> honourable.  Like the English-allied as compared
> to the French-allied Indians earlier in the 18th century.
>       Yes, I think in the 1775 quotation "nigger"
> is contemptuous (but not abusive).
>
> For the 1811 and 1818 quotations, I agree more
> context would be helpful.  (Remember that the OED
> does consider the broader context, but will trim
> for conciseness.)  Both are available Google full text:
>
> 1811, Byron [in a letter to the Rev. Francis
> Hodgson, and widely cited in slang dictionaries]:
> "If mankind may be saved who never heard or
> dreamt, of Galilee and its Prophet, Christianity
> is of no avail; if they cannot be saved, why are
> not all orthodox? It is a little hard to send a
> man preaching to Judea, and leave the rest of the
> world---niggers and what not---dark as their
> complexions, without  a ray of light for so many
> years to lead them on high; and who will believe
> that God will damn men for not knowing what they were never taught?"
> [The Works of Lord Byron, ed. William Ernest
> [...]

Need a job? Find employment help in your area.