Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 12 19:46:02 UTC 2009

I can make that "l" fricative sound.  Just keep the tongue flat and pinch the cheeks in and get a fricative around the tongue and cheeks when making an "l".

I Can't do a velar or uvular "l" if I try.  I would say "l" is not velar of uvular at all, alveolar.

I think "l" works like "m".  where for "m" there is a vocal component while the lips are together then releases when the lips part to say a vowel.  Just so the "l" has a vocal (vowelish) component that releases when the tongue flaps down.

Most salient "l" is Joe Namath's.  I think he does it with a wide rather than narrow tongue.

see truespel.com