The N-word at the time of Huck Finn

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 13 01:56:22 UTC 2009

The most extensive concise source of "n-word" information is HDAS II, where
a fair number of the OED cites first appeared.

I also recommend Randall Kennedy's _Nigger: The Strange Career of a
Troublesome Word_ (N.Y.: Vintage, 2002).

Deductive theories about 19th C. racism aside, the following exx. make it
clear that many African Americans, at least, regarded the word as
being quite opprobrious:

1837 Rev. Hosea Easton _A Treatise on the Intellectual Character and Civil
and Political Condition of the Colored People of the U. States: and the
Prejudice Exercised Towards Them_ (Boston: Isaac Knapp) 40: Negro or nigger,
is an approbrious [sic] term, employed to impose contempt upon them as an
inferior race....The term in itself, would be perfectly harmless, were it
used only to distinguish one class of society from another; but it is not
used with that intent; the practical definition is quite different in
England to what it is here, for here it flows from the fountain of purpose
to injure.

1849 Herman Melville _White-Jacket_ (rpt. N.Y.: Grove Press, 1964) 264 :
May-day [a black sailor] confidentially told Rose-water [another black
sailor] that he considered him a _"nigger"_* *which, among some blacks, is
held a great term of reproach.

Easton's assumption about "Negro" seems be that it somehow "stands for" the
n-word. I am not at all sure that his objection to "Negro" itself was widely
shared in the 19th C.

The title page of Easton's book identifies him as "A Colored Man."  Herman
Melville was white.

JL