IPA converter

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 13 02:19:41 UTC 2009

Back in the early 80s, Dennis Klatt of MIT adapted text-to-speech
software he had developed in the late 70s for commercial use in
Digital Equipment Corporation's DECTalk, drawing in part on a set of
about 625 letter-to-sound rules for English designed by Sharon
Hunnicutt of the Swedish Royal Institute of Technology.  The DECTalk
engineers and programmers built in a programmer's back door to the
device that allowed them to check the accuracy of the text to phoneme
conversion; the back door produced an IPA phonemic representation of
the speech that the device would produce.  The system was fairly
accurate, but it came with a built-in data file of 9000 words that
defied spelling rules, like "were," and there was a capability for
users to add words to this list, to take care of, for example, proper
nouns.  If the system could not produce a phonemic representation, it
would read out the spelling of the word.  This was the most effective
commercial text-to-IPA system of its time, although I'm sure better
ones have been developed since I stopped working in that area, and its
accuracy, without a data set of irregular spellings, was about seventy
percent.  With the firmware word list it reached about 92% on
newspaper text.  That average would fall sharply if you had it read a
phone book.  I don't know if any of the old DECTalk devices are still
around--they'd be about twenty-five years old now.  Later versions,
which were reduced to a card you could insert in a mother board slot,
no longer had the IPA backdoor.

Herb