Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 13 03:41:48 UTC 2009

I have a friend who supposedly has that kind of "accent." I've never
noticed anything distinctive about this friend's speech. But another
friend, a speech therapist by profession, assured me that he spoke
with what she referred to as a "lateral lisp." When I asked her
exactly what constituted a "lateral lisp", she gave me examples
ranging from apparently what Paul is describing to Daffy Duck's
speech. I'm assuming that, in Paul's pronunciation of "play," it's his
pronunciation of the /l/ and not his pronunciation of the /p/ that
constitutes the "lisp."

-Wilson
–––
-----