"ironyms"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 14 02:26:43 UTC 2009

OK, a top-post this time, so you can skip the earlier post if it's
still fresh in your mind.  We had the exchange below recently about
what I call (not "ethnonyms" but) "ironyms"; examples are "Welsh
rabbit", "Bronx cheer", "prairie oyster", and the examples Bill
Palmer cites below.  Some independent evidence for the
appropriateness of the term comes from a novel I've been reading,
Lawrence Block's _Hit List_ (2000), p. 138:

"What I don't get", she was saying, "is where they get off calling it
Long Island Iced Tea. There must be half a dozen different kinds of
booze in it, but is there any tea at all?"

"You're asking the wrong person."

"No tea, she decided. "Are they being ironic? Like this is what they
drink for tea on Long Island?"

LH