more on "break a leg" --- (about Yiddish kunna hurra)

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 15 18:16:44 UTC 2009

My initial response to Dave Wilton would have mentioned more on "evil
eye avoidance" Biblical roots, but I took it out in favor of a direct
response to "jinx". But that is precisely my point. "Evil eye" is a
Biblical concoction, so it's been absorbed into many Christian and
Jewish cultures, despite a proscription against superstitions. This is
particularly strong among rural Slavs AFAIK (for reasons I won't discuss
here), although, I suspect, it persists in other places as well.

My point earlier was precisely the question why the superstition would
divert form this evil-eye base toward more esoteric expressions that are
both obscure to outsiders and counterintuitive, yet are similar enough
in their semantic structure. It's a giant leap from avoiding mentioning
something to saying the opposite--in a sense, "wishing" for something
bad to happen. This goes well beyond the evil-eye avoidance.

Any anthropological and cross-cultural tips would be appreciated.

    VS-)