What's a "bap"?

Fri Mar 20 16:59:17 UTC 2009

The March 13, 2009 issue of TLS carries a review of the first volume of a collection of letters by Samuel Beckett.  There is a quotation on the front cover from one of these letters:
The abominable old bap Russell duly returned my MSS with an economic note in the 3rd person, the whole in a considerably understamped envelope.

It seems that this letter was written in 1929; it's quoted more fully in the review.  I assume that the Russell in question is George Russell, the man of letters who signed himself AE.

The admirable new Chambers Slang Dictionary doesn't contain a "bap" with an applicable meaning.

GAT

George A. Thompson