ecosocionomic

Tue Mar 24 14:34:16 UTC 2009

There's a kerfuffle about Tammy Bruce, guest host for Laura Ingram's
radio show, calling the Obamas "trash." But I was struck by her use of
"ecosocionomic" as a production error for "socioeconomic":

---
http://mediamatters.org/countyfair/200903230018 (transcript + audio)
"This is what we've got -- you know what we've got? We've got trash in
the White House. Trash is a, is a thing that is color blind, it can
cross all eco -- ecosocionomic kind of categories, you can work on
Wall Street or work at the Wal-Mart."
---

A fellow named Richard Kühnel has used the term "ecosocionomic" in a
serious way, for some combination of ecological, social, and economic
factors:

---
http://www.gentleharvest.org/iesd/review_5.shtml
The area I want to explore the most in the coming years is
"ecosocionomic" design and its application to different disciplines.
"Ecosocionomic" returns only 7 [Google] hits. Surprisingly enough I
found one web site that used this term in 2004, which is way before I
coined that word. "Ecosocionomic design" returns only four hits and
they are all from my site.
---

Linking to:

---
http://www.felixsalmon.com/000313.html
Wishing you delight in all things even remotely delightful to anyone
of any ecosocionomic or intellectual background :)
[Oct. 4, 2005 comment on a Sep. 18, 2004 blog post]
---

There it appears to be a thinko for "socioeconomic," much like Tammy
Bruce's on-the-fly error.

--Ben Zimmer