google-shmoogle: a query on a hard to search item

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 25 16:37:13 UTC 2009

(This is probably covered in those references, but here goes.) Note that
"fancy-shmancy" has been lexicalized. The original "X-shmX" construction
functions (as what? an interjection?) to dismiss the whole topic of X as
trivial in context. "Fancy-shmancy", OTOH, is an adjective semantically
equivalent to "fancy" but with a pejorative charge, belittling "fancy"-ness.

Mark Mandel