Schott's Vocab

Thu Mar 26 11:46:33 UTC 2009

> I say 'introduces' between inverted commas because clicking on the
> blog
> itself:
>
> http://schott.blogs.nytimes.com/
>
> reveals that it has been running since at least the end of last
> year. (That
> was the point at which I got bored of clicking on 'Older Entries' to
> track
> back to the starting-date; I couldn't see a link to the blog archive.)

Schott's blog has not been running since November 2008. Those are
backdated entries: new entries re-dated to look as if they are
contemporary with the sources from which they are derived. It seems
dishonest and unethical to me, though harmless. It does make me
slightly less inclined to trust dates in the New York Times from here
on out.

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org