snowclone: [X] porn

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Sat Mar 28 23:03:31 UTC 2009

I first encountered "torture porn" in reference to _The Passion of
the Christ_ a few years ago, and it had a certain catch to it -- I've
encountered it occasionally since, and a Google search pulls up quite
a few other instances. On Thursday I saw "pessimism porn" noted in
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/26/opinion/26schott.html?th&emc=th ,
in reference to the Great Depression kinds of themes that have been
focus in the popular media: millions homeless etc.

A Google search for "it's just * porn" gets a few interesting hits --
"it's just quality food porn", "it's just Journo-porn" ("I am sick of
having to pay a licence fee for this level of excessive and obsessive
detail about foriegn countries: it's just Journo-porn."), "it's just
hurricane porn", "it's just lifestyle porn", "it's just war porn",
"it's just Automotive porn", "it's just veg growers porn", "it's just
car porn", "it's just discography porn"...

I'm not sure if this one has been noted before.

James Harbeck.