"daguerreotype" from 1830?

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 31 02:01:45 UTC 2009

Joel,

This is clearly some kind of misdating or mixing up some other Providence newspaper with the Microcosm.  Internal evidence on the page points to an 1854 dating.  When a word-dating seems too early to be true, it is usually not true.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Joel S. Berson [Berson at ATT.NET]
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 8:11 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: "daguerreotype" from 1830?

1)   Any information about the following, which either is spurious or
antedates the OED -- and the object itself -- by 9 years?  I had
thought it simply a mistranscription of 1830 for 1839 or 1840. But
Harvard holds this journal (Newspaper Film NB 1529), and tells me it
ceased in 1830.  So the date may be correct.  If so, what would a
"specimen" to be examined in a "Daguerreotype room" be?

19th Century U.S. Newspapers.
The Microcosm, (Providence, RI) Friday, June 04, 1830; col A
      Multiple Classified Advertisements
I did not see a page number, either in the description or on the page image]

L. WRIGHTS'S DAGUERREOTYPE ROOMS---J. B. Read's new brick block, Main
street; Ladies and Gentlemen are invited to call and examine specimens.

The next instance is a plausible 1839 August 26, from The North American.

2)   An early appearance in the New World?  Or is this too, a "crayon
daguerreotype", perhaps not the genuine article?

Access Newspaper Archive [as it calls itself; the first time I've
seen this available via the NE Hist. Genealogical Soc.]

(Question: Is there some way to sort its results by date?)

Milwaukee Sentinel and Gazette
1839 April 8
[page 2, col. 7]
"Daguerreotype as taken Root of Philadelphia and pictures of tho same
person will bo taken Cur all who these Stock aud Apparatus for
country ors Instructions given in BROWN'S No 156 East Sth WAREHOUSE
East Water Street Milwaukee"

:-)  Apologies -- I can do better from the PDF:
The Crayon Daguerreotype, as taken by Root of Philadelphia, and two
or more pictures of the same person on he same plate, will be taken
for all who prefer these oddities in the picture line

Joel