spelling pronunciation

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 4 04:12:50 UTC 2009

At 3:23 AM +0000 5/4/09, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>  >From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_pronunciation
>
>A "spelling pronunciation" is a pronunciation
>that, instead of reflecting the way the word was
>pronounced by previous generations of speakers,
>is a rendering in sound of the word's spelling.
>Spelling pronunciations compete, often
>effectively, with the older traditional
>pronunciation.
>
>I've heard this called "eye dialect".  The
>problem is that for both terms there is no easy
>way to verbify them.

I doubt you've heard it called that.  What you've
more likely heard called "eye dialect" is the
non-standard spelling of words to reflect how
they're pronounced (e.g. "wuz", "luv"), which is
something like the opposite of spelling
pronunciation.  (You can find this at wikipedia
too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_dialect)
Except that eye dialect is a literary technique
typically designed to imply ignorance on the part
of the speaker represented, whereas spelling
pronunciation is something that ordinary
(including non-literary) people do based on an
assumption that a given word really is pronounced
the way it's spelled.

"Spelnountseeng" may represent spelling
pronunciation or it may represent eye dialect,
but if it represents both it's a homonym.

LH