Fwd: "fuse box" eggcorn?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 4 14:49:50 UTC 2009

Fire-box?  Sense 1. is "... tinder-box", although the OED calls this
obsolete.  (In full, "A box with materials for procuring fire, a
tinder-box.")  "Tinder-box" certainly has the figurative usage.

At 5/4/2009 04:45 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

>(the authors of the article are A. G. Sulzberger -- yes, the son of
>the publisher -- and Matthew L. Wald.)

And grandson of the publisher?  Perhaps he picked this up at his
grandfather's knees in front of the fireplace, as a variant on "tinder-box".

Joel

[and for the rest of the story:]