Jesse S. et al. v. Antonin S. et al. on fleeting expletives

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 4 15:06:47 UTC 2009

I look forward with anticipation to Arnold's explanation of why
Freedman's sentence is "spectacularly confused", since I thought I
understood it!

I took it having the sense "Although one might think censorship is
only a prescriptivist exercise, it is necessarily also descriptivist,
since standards for what is taboo vary over time and place."

Is the problem that Freedman's critics here believe that "standards"
are necessarily prescriptivist?  What if in my paraphrasing I
replaced "standards" by "common usage"?

Joel