autonym

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri May 8 23:34:19 UTC 2009

At 5/8/2009 04:08 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

>That probably should read "... how *some* people
>of color refer to themselves."

But Wilson, *all* "people of color" refer to
themselves in *some* way -- just in different
ways for different folks.  :-)  That is what I
meant:  in the future, when I talk (write) about
how  "'people of color' refer, and used to refer,
to themselves", I intend to say that the terms
differ, not only over time but at a single time.

>Was it S. I. Hayakawa who wrote something like (newly-discovered
>"savage" replying to question, "Who are you people?"):
>
>"Who are *we*? Why, *we* are *people!*"? [Tell me, who are *you*?! I
>really wanna know!]

I made an unfortunate verbal slip some years ago
at a World Cup preliminary match between the U.S.
and one of the Central American countries.  Two
men next to me were speaking in a dialect (and
perhaps accent) that apparently used some
"standard" English words -- or at least words I
recognized -- but I couldn't understand any full
sentences.  I said to the one closest "Pardon me
-- may I ask what language you're speaking?", and
he replied, understandably, "English".  I was too
embarrassed to apologize and say that what I had
meant to ask was, "What do you *call* your
language?", the answer to which would have
permitted me to research it and learn a little about it.

Joel