number format and semantic hairsplitting in China

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat May 9 01:32:46 UTC 2009

Are we to question "who" made up all the rules of linguistics.  Young folks don't question that.  They're told it's a rule and so it is.  But they and we can consider if it's a good one.  I think it is.  It's shorter if the "and" is left out and it avoids any confusion.  For instance if someone asks "How many kids are in that class and how many are boys.  If the answer is 100 and 15 what does that mean?  It could mean the class has 100 kids and 15 are boys, or also mean the class size is 115 if the class were all boys.

I can see no reason not to teach this rule.  Leaving out the "and" makes number pronunciation clear, concise, and standardized.

see truespel.com