Heard on MSNBC

Kari Castor castor.kari at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 9 06:12:06 UTC 2009

There's also things like "the sex," where "the" is something like an
intensifier:
Wolverine is the sex = Wolverine is very sexy

But "the sex" can also be used to indicate general awesomeness:
This cake is the sex = This cake is delicious.

Although there is typically some sense of the erotic or sensual even in the
"generally awesome" usage.

I should also mention perhaps that the social circles I typically run in
belong to the broadly-defined "geek" subculture.  Lexicon is strongly
influenced by the internet, gaming, computers in general, sci-fi and
fantasy, comics, etc.

I can't really say whether this construction of "the + noun" is as common
outside of these circles.