'people' (was: Re: autonym)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 10 05:36:33 UTC 2009

FWIW, isn't _deutsch_ "from O.H.G. duit-isc, corresponding to O.E.
_'þeodisc belonging to _the people_,' used especially of the common
language of Germanic people, from þeod "_people_, race, nation," from
P.Gmc. *theudo 'popular, national' ..."

The Online Etymological Dictionary
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Dutch

-Wilson