ADS-L Digest - 8 May 2009 to 9 May 2009 (#2009-130)

Betsy Lowe bbjmlowe at EMBARQMAIL.COM
Sun May 10 22:57:20 UTC 2009

I think the use of the terms in the "the +" category are regional, and have probably been around for a long time.  As a military wife, I didn't run into them till we moved to North Carolina, the furthest south I've ever lived, and phrases like "get the mads (or 'mad') out," and "catch the ugly from his parents," are quite common around here.   I really like the phrase " get the mads out," because I have quite a temper, and I look for ways to "get the mads out."

I also think that the rule for using "one hundred ten," vs. "one hundred and ten," is one of those arbitrary rules imposed in the 19th century that many of us were still taught in the 1960s.  There was a writer in the 19th century who fancied himself a grammarian, and he's the one who gave us the "never end a sentence with a preposition" rule, among others.  There was no rhyme or reason for many of the rules he set forth in his book, but they became accepted as gospel.  Please don't ask me where I read this; I believe it was a Bill Bryson book, but I couldn't swear to it.

Betsy Lowe
Jay and Molly's mom
910-483-2268
"I suddenly realized that
anyone doing anything
weird really wasn't that
weird at all and it was the
people saying that they
were weird that were
weird."
Paul McCartney
  Date:    Sat, 9 May 2009 01:33:27 -0400
  From:    Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM>
  Subject: Re: Heard on MSNBC

  I'm guessing that you're a bit younger than I am.  Is this a
  generational or an age-graded usage?

  Herb

  From:    Kari Castor <castor.kari at GMAIL.COM>

  Definitely.
  I'm mid-20s.  The vast majority of people whom I've heard use that
  construction are probably under 30.

  Date:    Sat, 9 May 2009 01:12:06 -0500
  From:    Kari Castor <castor.kari at GMAIL.COM>

  There's also things like "the sex," where "the" is something like an
  intensifier:
  Wolverine is the sex = Wolverine is very sexy

  But "the sex" can also be used to indicate general awesomeness:
  This cake is the sex = This cake is delicious.

  Although there is typically some sense of the erotic or sensual even in the
  "generally awesome" usage.

  I should also mention perhaps that the social circles I typically run in
  belong to the broadly-defined "geek" subculture.  Lexicon is strongly
  influenced by the internet, gaming, computers in general, sci-fi and
  fantasy, comics, etc.

  I can't really say whether this construction of "the + noun" is as common
  outside of these circles.

  >is
  > in
  I guess, that's the difference between fourth-grade grammar and grad school.

      VS-)