"mink" (n.) = 'a black, a Negro'?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 11 02:29:28 UTC 2009

I was referring to the following, from George Thompson:
 > >        New-York General Sessions, Nov. 8.  People vs. Beers. --
 > > Beers, a mink-black little negro, and for years an approved waiter
 > > in a most respectable porter-house and tavern in Nassau-street, and
 > > lately a principal actor in the African corps dramatique, was
 > > yesterday tried and convicted of grand larceny.  It has been
 > > suggested that his passion for his new pursuit led him to the deed
 > > for the purpose of obtaining funds to purchase decorations for his
 > theatre.
 > >***
 > >New-York American, November 10, 1821, p. 2, col. 5

Despite Ron's disdain, this seems a very plausible antecedent for a
progression into a noun-use, as in my six years later 1827 "like so
many Mohe-choah Mink in a mud-bank" -- "mink-black negro" to perhaps
"mink black" to "mink" = "a black".

Joel