Of minks and stoats

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 11 14:19:01 UTC 2009

At 6:05 AM -0700 5/11/09, James Smith wrote:
>Then there's the phrase, I believe from Guys and Dolls, "[I] got the
>fur coat the same way the mink got it!". This doesn't make sense
>literally because the mink is born with the fur coat, but it implies
>the promiscuity of the mink.

Right, the version James Harbeck posted ("How do women get minks?
The same way minks do.") is much cleverer, hinging as it does on the
ambiguity of "get" and the underspecified nature of the reference of
"mink".  I can't imagine, though, that that quip, hoary (as it were)
as it is, was a factor in the "fuck(s) like a mink" locution, or vice
versa.

LH