"fuck like a mink" [Was: "mink" (n.) = 'a black, a Negro'?]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 11 16:09:15 UTC 2009

At 11:43 AM -0400 5/11/09, Charles Doyle wrote:
>At least "fuck like minks" makes a kind of sense as an image--as
>does "fuck like rabbits" in regard to reproductive proclivities.
>
>In contrast, the simile "fuck like snakes," familiar to me from
>various parts of the South, is less transparent in its imagery. Do
>we envision intimate and tortuous physical entanglement? Is some
>free-floating phallic symbolism implicit? A primal and serpentine
>knowledge of good and evil?
>
>--Charlie

I came across "he fucks like a rattlesnake" when I was googling for minks:

_fucks like a rattlesnake_ - To copulate vigorously. Often in the
colloquial phrase: he fucks like a rattlesnake
(from the "Dictionary of Sexual Terms")

Also appears as "fucks like a rattlesnake in heat", which may or may
not have been the original form--interesting, since I thought "in
heat" usually applies to females but this one is almost exclusively
used for males.

"like a rattlesnake", used for males, is a manner adverb, while the
"mink" (and I assume "minx") variant can apparently index manner,
frequency, or indiscriminacy.  Not that there are no male-referential
terms indexing indiscrimacy; the same sources suggest "...anything
with a hole in it", "...anything on two legs", and the like.  I'm
reminded of a now defunct (but still archived) bisexual-oriented
web-mag "Anything That Moves"; cf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anything_That_Moves.

LH