Query: Let George do it

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed May 13 18:45:42 UTC 2009

My thanks to Bill Mullins for his reply below.  Also, I just noticed that the ads-l archives have quite a few messages about "Let George do it." I'll compile and check them before commenting further.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
Sent: Wed 5/13/2009 12:57 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Query: Let George do it (UNCLASSIFIED)

"Let George Do It" is a hard phrase to search for; Nineteenth Century
Newspapers and N'archive.com compress ignore the small words and give
back way too many cites.  But Newsbank 19th Cent U.S. Newspapers and
Proquest Historical Newspapers both show the phrase starting (with a
vengeance) around mid 1909.

I'm pretty sure the vector for the phrase was George McManus's comic
strip by that title -- "Let George Do It".  I can't find anywhere on the
net any specific dates of its running, but 1909 is about right.  (The
earliest I can find the strip in N'archive is June 1 1909)

Of course, this dodges the question "Where did McManus get the phrase?"

Google Books has a snippet view from _A Book About a Thousand Things_ by
George Stimpson, saying: "Let George do it is believed to have
originated in France in the fif-".

Other snippet views indicate that Louis XII made the statement in
reference to his prime minister.

<https://minermail.mst.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://dictionary.