The Colbert Report: "soda water"

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri May 15 13:32:29 UTC 2009

From:    Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at BELLSOUTH.NET>

> I almost never hear "Coke", in the south (NC, GA, TN).  It is always
> "co-cola"

I don't have all that much experience with the Middle South, but the
only time i (from the Upper South) ever heard "co-cola" was as part of a
longer name: "RC Co cola" [ar si ko kol*] (i capitalize the "Co" because
i *think* it was pronouncing the abbreviation for "company" as if it
were a word), sometimes pronounced by much older people as [ar o si ko
kol*], for some reason.

Coca-Cola was simply "coke", and when it needed to be distinguished from
generic coke it was "coke coke", which i suppose is more or less
indistinguishable from the possibility of "co-coke".

Sidebar: Annoyingly, the only way to find RC in the Orlando market seems
to be 2-liter bottles. I can't drink that much before it goes flat--but
what else am i suppose to eat my Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies with?

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida