The Colbert Report: "soda water"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri May 15 19:01:40 UTC 2009

For me, growing up in eastern Texas (like Wilson), "soda water" was the most prevalent generic term for carbonated soft drinks (of all flavors).  I have been assuming, however, that the term is a somewhat narrowly-focused regionalism, not an archaism.

During the past 35 years, I've lived in Georgia, which is (not surprisingly) generic "cocola" country.

As for "RC CocaCola":  Isn't that just a joke-expression, acknowledging or satirizing the very multiplicity of terminology that we've been discussing?

--Charlie