Chronicle article on sentence diagramming

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Sat May 16 03:48:40 UTC 2009

Larry's right; I wasn't claiming that "my doing the judging" is necessarily hypercorrect. It's fine in, e.g., "it's not my doing the judging that's the problem." The prescription here is the use of the possessive before gerunds. Does anyone follow this rule naturally anymore or is it one acquired only from the kinds of English teachers who would title a course on sentence diagramming "Constructing Thought"? Whenever I mention the rule to my students, I'm met with blanker faces than usual, and none of them prefers, even in formal contexts, something like "I appreciate your helping me out" to "you helping me out."

-Matt Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Laurence Horn
Sent: Fri 5/15/2009 9:55 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: Chronicle article on sentence diagramming

At 10:40 PM -0400 5/15/09, Wilson Gray wrote:
>"Hypercorrect," you say? According to whose prescription?
>
>-Wilson

I don't think the claim is that "my doing the judging" is *always*
hypercorrect, but that it is in a context like this one, where it
means "it isn't just me [who is] doing the judging".  "Me doing" is
not a constituent here.   Cf. "It wasn't just {me/*my} eating the
cookies, it was all of us" or "It's {me/*my} (here) knocking on your
door."  Presumably, the teacher saw the "me doing X" sequence and
auto-corrected it to "my doing" without noticing the local context.

LH