90

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 19 16:14:12 UTC 2009

In USA, the "t" ~t tends to be spoken as a "d" ~d in most of those cases, except 20, which drops the consonant altogether, ~twunee (TWUH-nee).  Soe it's ~~thherdee, fordee, fifdee, siksdee, sevindee, aedee, niendee~~ at least as an alternate pronunciation (but is probably more common than the formal pronunciation which would have a ~t).  (Note the UK is much better in pronouncing their "t"s.)

There is one dictionary I know of that represents the ~d for ~t swap as an alternative pronunciaton, and that is mine, truespel book 3, which adds a pronunciation guide to the VOA Beginner's dictionary where one is missing in the official version.

Also in book 3 the glottalized "t" is represented as a frequent alternative form in English. For example "bottle" ~baa'ool, "want" ~waan'.  Ending "t" is probably more often glottalized than not.

I spoke to a linguist involved in a project re-analyzing English as actually spoken.  I told him he should recognize these "t" features at least as an alternative spelling.  He said (to paraphrase) "the public wouldn't like that."

Unrealized reality.

see truespel.com