kaboodle

Tue May 19 17:28:44 UTC 2009

I've checked the ADS-L archives, and it would appear that I never posted these citations here; they were published as a brief note in American Speech.  [73:4 (Winter, 1998):442]

1822:   . . . Severance told him that he was going to Canada, and should bring back with him a boodle, (a cant term for a bundle of counterfeit bills).
Commercial Advertiser, March 15, 1822, p. 2, col. 3

1823:   . . . upon the receipt of a boodle or bootle, as a package of counterfeit money is termed.
Inside Out; or, An Interior View of the New-York State Prison. . . .  By One Who Knows.  [W. A. Coffey]  p. 108

1823:   The mayor asked witness if Ann took out with her when walking the bootle (slang word for a bundle of forged notes.)
New-York Statesman, June 21, 1823, p. 2, col. 4

1828:   High Constable Hays lately received information that a boodle of counterfeit notes and coin was to be opened to the customers at the house of George Marriner, corner of Rutgers and Lombardy-streets.  [He raids the joint]  His house has long been known as head quarters for the dealers in counterfeit bills and coin, and stolen goods.
Commercial Advertiser, May 30, 1828, p. 2, col. 5, from NYDA

1832:   A counterfeit five dollar bill, of the Fulton Bank. . . .  It seems that a "boodle," as the slang term is, was opened of these Bills -- and this accounts for the sudden appearance of so much counterfeit money.  [9 people are arrested.]
New-York Evening Post, March 20, 1832, p. 2, col. 7

Notice that several of these passages speak of a "boodle" being "opened".  This is explained in a passage earlier than any of the ones above, though it doesn't use the word "boodle".
1820:   [David Fowler goes to Canada for counterfeit money, brings it back] in hard little packages, about three inches thick.
New-York Evening Post, August 23, 1820, p. 2, cols. 4-5

It seems that "the Dutch "boedel," meaning estate, possessions, or property" may in NY Dutch have come to mean something like "package" (or "bundle" -- is a connection possible?)

GAT

George A. Thompson