90

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 19 20:52:34 UTC 2009

I have a nasal alveolar tap there.  No [n].  The way the suffix -ty
behaves suggests that the consonant is a lenis stop.  Lenis stops
assimilate in all the ways discussed below.  In very careful, almost
over-enunciated speech, I can get an aspirated fortis stop, but only
by placing secondary stress on the suffix.  Historically it's probably
a fortis stop /t/, but in contemporary AmE I suspect it's more of a
spelling pronunciation.

Herb