Shout outs and hard ons

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 20 18:02:23 UTC 2009

I remember learning the term "hard on" in boarding school at about the
age of 13, and from the way it was used by my fellow denizens of an
adolescent boys' dormitory it seemed unanalyzable.  I also remember
wondering whether it would be spelled with a <d> or a <t>, since the
alveolar stop laxed to a tap.  To my thirteen-year-old sensibilities,
"have a hard on" didn't sound like a verb+particle construction, even
if I didn't have a clue what a verb+particle construction was.

Herb