Heard on [adult swim]: "clique" > [klik]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 20 19:38:42 UTC 2009

When I knew "clique" only from reading, during the '40's I assumed
that "cleek" - cf. "Cliquot Club" and la veuve Cliquot - was the
pronunciation. By the time that I reached high school, "clique" was in
common use, but pronounced "click"! I assumed that this was the BE
(mis)pronunciation. But I was soon amazed to discover that "click" was
also the pronunciation used by the white guys at my high school! Over
the course of the years, till early this morning, I'd never heard  ,/
   _clique_ pronounced except as "click" by *anyone*, regardless of
race, creed, color, or sexual orientation.

As ("... among the young"?! I'm 72, the approximate age of everyone
who was in high school ca. 1950-1954) claims found in books, how does
a person decide whether some claim is prescriptive untruth, whereas
another random published claim is descriptive truth?
It's like religion. One is true. The others are mythology,

Who is it that decides that X is the primary or preferred
pronunciation and on what basis does he make this decision

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain