Heard on "Aqua Team Hunger Force"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 21 20:01:34 UTC 2009

Now, the replacement of "cop a squat" by "pop ...," that seems more
like an eggcorn." Or not, since the reference is to sitting anywhere
other than in a chair. Whereas, for me, "cop ..." is to sit anywhere,
but primarily in / on a chair.  You never know.

For me, to "cop ..." refers to taking a seat anywhere, but primarily
in / on a chair. Down home, the sight of a woman squatting, more or
less in public, behind a bush or, in Germany, and, at least into the
'60's, of women squatting alongside the Bundebahn, in order to
eliminate bodily wastes, the use of "cop a squat" relevant to this
meaning had never occurred to me. Yet, it's so obvious.

WRT to the Bundesbahn, males merely stood with their backs to the flow
of traffic, though there probably were occasons when a male, too, had
to cop a squat Karler Art.

-Wilson
–––
-----