Heard on [adult swim]: "clique" > [klik]

Alison Murie sagehen7470 at ATT.NET
Thu May 21 22:35:16 UTC 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 3:38 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Heard on [adult swim]: "clique" > [klik]
>
> When I knew "clique" only from reading, during the '40's I assumed
> that "cleek" - cf. "Cliquot Club" and la veuve Cliquot - was the
> pronunciation. By the time that I reached high school, "clique" was in
> common use, but pronounced "click"! I assumed that this was the BE
> (mis)pronunciation. But I was soon amazed to discover that "click" was
> also the pronunciation used by the white guys at my high school! Over
> the course of the years, till early this morning, I'd never heard  ,/
>   _clique_ pronounced except as "click" by *anyone*, regardless of
> race, creed, color, or sexual orientation.
>
> As ("... among the young"?! I'm 72, the approximate age of everyone
> who was in high school ca. 1950-1954) claims found in books, how does
> a person decide whether some claim is prescriptive untruth, whereas
> another random published claim is descriptive truth?
> It's like religion. One is true. The others are mythology,
>
> Who is it that decides that X is the primary or preferred
> pronunciation and on what basis does he make this decision
>
> -Wilson
I'm not sure where my "cleek" pronunciation came from -- possibly my
parents -- but the "click" pronunciation struck me as hick, when I was
a kid.
I'm a few years older than Wilson, but click reigned in my highschools
NE, IL & WN), too.
AM