Five times less

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 22 21:34:09 UTC 2009

I have several possible interpretations of the "300% decline". First,
one should always consider typos, of course, but that's not an issue
when the number is spoken. So here are the alternatives--feel free to
accept or reject for plausibility.

1) The person performing the calculations might have reversed the
referent quantity, taking the final value as 100% instead of the
initial. So the actual decline would have been 75%.
2) The reporter misinterpreted 300% inflation as a 300% decline in
value--this is somewhat understandable because inflation represents
decline in value. However, this still makes for a ridiculous conclusion.
In this instance, even if we are talking about 300% inflation, it is
impossible to tell if it is exact or annualized (in which case, the
actual decline would be more like 25%). Inflation is a black box for
most reporters and the mere association with decline in buying power may
be enough to cause the error.
3) There may have been a previous record of decline in value and the
reported rate is simply either 3 times or 4 times that rate. So it's not
that the "value declined by 300%", but the rate of decline increased by
300% (or simply *is* 300% of the earlier rate--hence the 3x vs 4x
discrepancy). Obviously this cannot be resolved without actual data. The
confusion of increase vs. relative increase (i.e., the change in the
increase) is a common one is a the usual fodder of political discourse.
It is quite common for an average opponent of a budgetary item to
complain about the double or triple-digit percent "increase" in spending
when what he means is the actual increase in the change in spending.
That is, if a program received $100 one year, then $101 the next year,
and is projected to receive $103 in the next budget, it would not be
uncommon to hear a complaint of doubling the expenditure on the program.
It is ridiculous at face value, but that's the level of discourse that
we have. Often, this is coated in doublespeak, so that the actual
statement may be true, but it is designed to be misinterpreted by the media.

In this particular instance, the inflation explanation appears to be
most likely. I am not sure what the situation is with the "murder rate"
decline. I am inclined to believe that this means that after an x%
increase in the murder numbers, the next change is the x% decline, thus
making a 100% reversal in the "acceleration" rate, of sorts.

My interpretations of student answers that resemble these situations are
usually based on full context of the problem. Here, I am operating
somewhat blind, lacking most of the context, including the "actual"
data. Hence the speculations. When it comes to statistics--even the kind
of recurring financial statistics that they see regularly--most
reporters are clueless. Add to this the pressure to avoid duplicating
sources word-for-word (which is what passes for plagiarism these days),
and this is what you find.

    VS-)