Fewer salary/slaries

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat May 23 02:22:38 UTC 2009

At 5/22/2009 08:45 PM, ronbutters at AOL.COM wrote:
>My friend Mike has two salaries, one from Duke University and one
>from a private foundation.

So he's accumulating greater than I.  Or: He has 100% more salaries
than I have.  Or:  I have 100% fewer salaries than he
has"  [mathematical faux pas].  Or: ...

Joel

Seriously, I would say "he has twice as many salaries ..." or "I have
half as many salaries ..."  Here we are counting salaries -- but in
comparing amounts, we are not counting, so I think "less" is correct,
"fewer" is incorrect.

Joel