antedating "hobo" 1885

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 25 03:31:06 UTC 2009

FWIW, Mono Lake, one of the places from which the Department of Water
& Power draws some of the water for Los Angeles (remember the movie,
Chinatown? BTW, I worked for Power, not Water, so, my conscience is
clear) is called "[mowno] Lake." It's the only exception to 'mono" as
[mano] that I can think of, off the top of my head. And "Mono" is
foreign, the name of a now-extinct Native American people.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain